Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cooking it up in make believe

I love going to the large dumpsters here for cardboard boxes.  This last time I scored again!



I held on to it for a few days and then inspiration hit....


Here are some of the stages.  I used contact paper for all the different parts of the play kitchen.
I added a tall piece of cardboard to the back of the cardboard and secured it with pipe-cleaner. :)



Here is the finished product.


here are the girls playing Restaurant.

We drag the play kitchen in our kitchen sometimes so the girls can work along with me.


I think this time I was giving them dough and toppings to make their own little pizzas.
One of the fun little features I didn't take a picture of is the little hook on the side with kitchen towels we found that we just the perfect size.  They have two hanging up for their own use.

The fun thing about this crazy play kitchen is that it is easy to transport because it is so light, also because it is contact paper messes and water wipe off with little to no damage to the cardboard.  The cardboard box is durable so I think this will last us awhile. It is rather large but it fits in the girl's room nicely so no real complaints about that. At least it is not one of those huge plastic things..i just don't like those at all. It took 3 Saturdays to finish. I usually worked on it while the younger ones to naps so a few hours every Saturday.  Autumn helped quite a bit and David helped me secure the back and put in the bottom shelf.  It was fun to make and only cost about 20 lira ($14), mostly the cost was for the contact paper.

My conclusion is a love cardboard boxes, even if all my Turkish neighbors think I am crazy getting it from the large overflowing garbage dumpster. ;)

2 comments:

Nike said...

Becky,
This blew me away. I . Love . It! I love scouring for boxes, too, but this rocks. I'm so inspired!

Brandi said...

OMGosh...this is so cute.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...